Friday, June 30, 2017

Evolution God

My heads been a lot of different places lately.  Sometimes I wish I was a full time writer.  I get these thoughts in my head and I just want to explore them.  But I don't always have time to do so.

I like to investigate.  I like to know why things are the way they are.  I like to know the potential different outcomes of things if you do them one way or another.

A couple weeks ago I started an online certification program to become a Primal Health Coach.  For over a year now I've changed what I've been eating and have lost about 30 pounds of body fat.  Mostly by eating more fat and less carbage.  I say carbage because not all carbs are bad for you, but all carbs can keep you from losing body fat.  Over the past year, I've helped or provided inspiration and encouragement to several people who've collectively lost well over a TON of weight.  Literally.  I'll never get tired of hearing success stories.  They come almost everyday now.  Including one recently who's just reversed all markers for type 2 diabetes.

I thought this course was going to be a breeze and I'd simply be adding "certified" to what I already know.  Wrong.  It's fairly challenging.  There are parts of the course that teach about genes, the history of human kind, evolution of our species and lots of other things too.  It really got me thinking about what happened 20,000 thousand years ago when someone sick.  They most likely died.  That was part of life.  Death.  I think we don't really give to much thought about that today.  Death is something we don't have to worry about till someone gets old. And when someone dies young we are all in shock.

We are God.  A few years ago when we were considering IVF (look it up if you don't know), I made the statement that it seems as though it's like playing God and I wasn't comfortable with that.  If God wanted us to have kids, we'd be able to have kids naturally.  Looking back on that, what an asinine statement that was.  What do we do when we get a headache?  Take Tylenol.  What do we do what we break a bone?  Get a cast put on.  What do we do when we get cancer?  Seek treatment.  We have the advantages in todays civilized world to treat whatever ailments fall upon us.  Isn't that also playing God?  Or was the creation of all these advancements to heal our bodies by design from God?

But throughout human history, death was a part of everyday life.  Like headaches and colds are today.  That was normal.  We weren't supposed to survive.  And that's how we thrived.  Only those with  the right genetic makeup survived to reproduction age.  And those genes were passed down.  It took hundreds of thousands of years for those with strong genes to flourish.   The human race would migrate to a new area.   Some people just couldn't survive there.  But some could.  And those genes would carry on.

But today, we don't have the selection pressure.  We live in climate controlled houses.  We buy food from grocery stores.  We drive to work.  In fact, the main reason you work is to make money to buy your food and shelter instead of working and creating it for yourself.  You pay for someone else to provide it for you.  This leads to society.  Economy.  Community.  We are Gods, creating our environment.  All the while living an artificial life.

An artificial life?  Yeah.  Most of us should be dead already.  But because of these advancements in technology and medicine we've been able to stay alive long after the natural world says we should.  In some ways this can be good, in other ways I don't think it's so good.

Vaccines.  Many people get vaccinated so they don't get sick from diseases that otherwise would have killed them.  Like polio, measles, and smallpox.  This is great, it keeps people from contracting this disease and in many cases with minimal side effects.  Though some would argue what those side effects entail.

History is fascinating.  Take a look at this graph.  Grains were first discovered as use for food about 10,000 years ago.  This removed a lot of pressure to hunt and gather food.  Of course though, grains were much healthier at that time.  They aren't the genetically modified unhealthy grains from dwarf wheat that we have today.  All of the sudden when food was a plenty, advancement began.  And it's snowballed over the past few hundred years.  Can we sustain this advancement?  OR should we just stop and let it sit for awhile.


This is where I may get some weird looks if I haven't already.  For the most part, in the developed world, we are great at keeping people alive.  But why?  Just so they can die later anyway?  When I was 7 I broke my leg.  I should have died.  And that would have been fine if it was thousands of years ago.  I made a stupid decision and was jumping off of things I shouldn't have.  And the consequence of making a stupid decision would have been death.  I may have lived a little while, but the odds that I'd be able to survive would be bleak.   What's the point of staying alive just a little bit longer?  It used to be survival.  That was the point.  But we've got survival down pretty good.  Where are we going?

This isn't a natural world anymore.  Yes, everything comes from this world.  But that doesn't mean it should have happened.

We won't stop.  History won't stop.  This is a new world.  We are adapting.  But are we adapting fast enough?  We are the same human race.  Are we even designed to live in this new world?  Or are things like CRISPR going to change the human race?

So there you have it.  That's what's been in my head.  At least a small portion of my head.  Till another thought evolves.

No comments:

Post a Comment