Thursday, December 25, 2014

My thoughts on Cops and Bubbles

 When you read this, please know I am a fan of Police.  I am grateful for the service they do.  But this is my honest reflection on how I was treated last night doing absolutely NOTHING wrong. 


I need to vent a bit about my experience with the two PA State Police officers that encountered us last night.  Let me set the scene.  For 31 days we've been jumping in the bubble every day at all different times.  Many times we had an audience, sometimes we didn't.  Sometimes it was midnight, sometimes 8 pm, all random.  We are doing nothing wrong or illegal.  In fact, because of the awareness, close to 3,000 dollars was raised for IJM and other causes.  So VERY GOOD THINGS were being done. 

SO, as we walked back to the car there sits the officers with lights on.  Their reason for being there as they said was to check on us because the 4 way flashers were on and they wanted to make sure we were ok.  REALLY?  Then why was the license plate number run?  Why were our names and addresses taken?  Why were we force to stay there for nearly 20 minutes soaking wet and in the cold?  I asked multiple times if we did anything wrong always received a NO.  So then I asked if I could leave because I was cold.  They said no.  We have to finish.  FINISH WHAT?   I asked again if I could leave, again, no.  Until they finished gathering information and questioning.  I asked if I was required to give them my name and information.  They said yes.  So I did.  After further research, they had no right to keep me there or take any information.  THIS IS WHY I THINK MANY POLICE GET A BAD REPUTATION. I would think that after about a minute, trained officers should be able to tell if 3 adult males appeared to be intoxicated and/or doing anything illegal.  Seriously, why would we do that 10 yards from a main road with 4 ways on and flashlights?  semi crazy to be swimming in 52 degree water, yes.  But not illegal.

You know what would have been nice?  A simple Merry Christmas, we just wanted to make sure you were ok.  We saw the four ways on and wanted to offer assistance.  But since everyone is ok and you aren't doing anything wrong or illegal, you fellas have a great night and Merry Christmas!   And we would reply, (we did anyway), You too!  Thanks for stopping and checking!  Thanks for taking time away from your family to do the difficult job you do. 

Now, don't go getting all mad at me.  I think the majority of police do a great job.  And I appreciate the fact they stopped.  But 20 minutes?  C'mon.  What for?  To Protect and Serve or Harass and Intimidate? 

I am posting this to help, honestly.  Police Officers have a very difficult job.  This is my constructive criticism to help.  Without positive feedback, nothing changes.   Trust me, I want to help change societies perspective on police. But in situations like last night, a little help on their end would be great too. 

No comments:

Post a Comment