Friday, October 2, 2015

flipping tables.

Few things for starters.  I'm writing this from a Christian stand point. I'm incredibly scared to write about this.  Because I'm incredibly scared that I'm right.  And to make things worse, if I am right what do I plan to do about it?  If anything...

Secondly, this is me being me.  A lot of generalizing and reflections of my own habits. Some if it may apply to you, other things it won't.  I'm making observations from things I've heard people say.  So if it feels like I'm picking on you, I probably am.  But I'm also picking on myself.  Because I'm in the same boat. 

Thirdly, I don't have all the answers.  This isn't and end all be all.  And you don't have all the answers either.  You, just like me, only have whatever helps us sleep better at night.  And that may be wrong thinking.  You have to be prepared to understand that.  Sometimes we know deep down something is wrong and we choose to turn a blind eye.  Or we choose to do a little to appease the guilt. 

Onto my thought.  This comes on the heels of my wife's first trip to Haiti.  While she's been to Africa in the past, this will be the first time in a while for a trip like this.  I've had the chance to go 7 times over the past three years with number 8 in december.  And. I. Can't. Wait.  So I will be deliberate in how I roll this post out.  I don't know where her head is at and I want to respect that.  Because I also know what it's like to have your world rocked in that way.   So, she may or may not have been home for weeks before you are actually reading this.  It's Oct. 3 2015 right now. 

I was listening to a podcast this morning called Giving is Believing.  You should check it out if you are interested in "missions".  I hate that term, and so do they.  When I tell people about our work in Haiti they often ask if I go down on a missions trip.  This is a normal response. To which I often reply, if by missions trip you mean every day that you wake up and go about your day, then yes. If you call yourself a Christian, you are a missionary. Every day you live your life should be one continuous mission trip.  But anyway, a (I'll call her) friend that I've met a time or two in the town of Gressier at her cafe was on the podcast. Megan Boudreaux (www.respirehaiti.org) started this ministry that is growing tremendously and she is doing phenomenal work. She was talking about the miracles she's seen in Haiti and how we don't see them nearly at all in America.  You can find more about this in the book she wrote available here.  Why? I know, but you wouldn't understand until you've been there. But I began to think about my life here in the states.  So I'll begin there.  

We have a modest house, two cars, two tv's, lots of toys (for us and the kids), 3 coffee makers, a big yard with a riding mower, freedom, time to relax and so many other privileges.  Why? Mostly because we were born here.  Yes we work hard and understand that this country did not come from nothing.  I understand that people came here, stole this land from other people and created this here nation that we live in today.  I didn't ask for any of that.  I'm not saying I don't appreciate it, I just wasn't involved in how that all happened.  I'm just involved in where it is today and what I can do.  However,  I'm now infected with having seen parts of the world that don't have these privileges.  Parts of the world were people die every day and injustices happen because of ignorance.  People not knowing any better.  And here I sit, surrounded by 5 guitars, a drum set and I'm typing on a 27" Apple iMac eating from a bag of rold gold pretzels after I just ate lunch and I'm not even hungry.  You're probably even reading it on a new computer or your mobile device that you pay upwards of $150 a month for.  These are observations, not accusations.  And people are dying.

now. 






now.






now.











now.











Because they don't have food.  Or because their government is corrupt.  Or because they are being bombed by american drones.  Or they are being killed by terrorists.  We live in a bubble that I so desperately want to pop.

.

But wait!  I give money to my church!  Yes, you may.  But lets be realistic.  It's not ten percent.  It may be ten percent that week.  But only 1 out of 4 weeks.  Or maybe it's 3 percent.  And it's still something, I'm not knocking you.  I've read that on average churches only give out (I'll be generous) 8% of their income to charities outside the walls.  Compare that to the red cross who only spends about 8% on it's administrative costs.  So basically your tithe goes to your sunday morning entertainment and services.

But wait!  I buy a turkey every year! I give to the little red bucket bell ringers! I do this blah blah I do that blah blah blah.  Fantastic.  That's great.  That's the minimum.  That's barely the minimum.

I feel like if Jesus came to America and saw how apathetic, snobbish and lazy we've become here he'd be flipping our tables.  I'd venture to say that he maybe even would flip the bird!  Seriously.... Jesus did that!  He'd be pissed!  He'd look in your windows and see the three people in your house each watching a different tv or device.  We call them devices now.

I'm right there with you.  This is my life.  This is what plagues me.  I used to make excuses and justify the way I live.  Saying things like, but I go to haiti a few times a year.  We sponsor a child.  We give to local places that help.  But I'm a good person.  I DESERVE nice things.  Since when did we ever get what we deserved?  Think about it.

This is weighing on me big time lately.  Maybe I'm wrong.  Maybe I am doing enough.  Maybe I'm doing more than what's called for.  But the problem is there is so many people not even doing the minimum, looking out for numero uno, and I may even be that person too.

I'm not even gonna get started on our lust for blood in this country.  And I'm not going to go back and edit any of this.  It's getting posted.  With me being the most guilty one here.  









No comments:

Post a Comment