Thursday, February 14, 2013

expendentures.

Yes, I know. That's not how you spell expenditure. It's a typo on purpose. Because this blog is about spending money on food, hence the denture ending. I recently bought half a cow. We will probably sell off some of the meat, but end up keeping most for ourself. I posted a picture of the beef in the freezer, which will feed us our beef for about 2 years. A remark was made about it feeding a village. Why yes, yes it could. It could also have paid for lodging, food AND school for a child in Haiti for 4 YEARS.
Onto my point. Sure, we bought all the beef at once, and paid less than the average cost cost per pound for beef. Oh, less then the cost of factory farmed beef. This is totally grass fed local farm raised beef. So we have beef for about two years and paid less than what you pay for stuff at the grocery store. So doing it this way is more economical and it supported the local economy. That wasn't even my point. But it did raise good questions about how we spend our money.
My point is to be mindful about how we spend our money. Not all things we spend money on is bad. But there are better ways to spend our money. Something I did over December was to not spend money at gas stations, fast food and other convenience purchases. I tracked what I may have spent and it totaled $640. I didn't miss any of that stuff. I bought what I needed from the grocery store and ended up eating healthier as well. What do I do with that $640? I donated some. I used some to help pay for a trip to Haiti to visit and make new friends. But I didn't spend it on myself. There are many people around the world that don't have things at their fingertips like we do. They can't just go buy something whenever they are hungry. I'm not saying just up and send all your money to those places. Even if you did, it may not even help. You didn't teach anything. Just think if there is a BETTER way to use your resources. To do some research on where your money goes after you spend it. or even after you give it.

Sorry this post wasn't more informative. I'm still learning about how you can truly help people long term, not just short term. Learning how to make an local economy thrive. So, comments are encouraged on ways to help people with your resources.

That is NOT the farm I got my beef from...but a farm I took a picture of. Bonus points if you can guess where it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment