Saturday, February 9, 2013

things learned on the run

Two things I was reminded of today while training for an upcoming 50k. Well, 3 things actually. This first is that I am totally not fit for long distance trail running. But I love it anyway. I guess that's what training is for. Number two is this...Action precedes motivation. The hardest part is to just do it. You'll thank yourself later (most of the time).

The third is the big thing. During training, sprint the hills. Don't worry about how far you can run in a training run. Work on the hard stuff. I equate sprinting hills to life in this way. Before bad things happen in your life, think about them. Think about losing a loved one. Think about if you totaled your car in an accident. Think about losing your job. Think about having a miscarriage. Think about being diagnosed with cancer. Think about how the best way you could react in all these situations. Think about where your strength comes from. Think about if you had to choose one life over another. I don't know, whatever difficulties could come your way, think about it. Don't let it get you down, but think about how you would act so if those things ever happened you've already prepared. It still won't be easy, but at least you've already had some training. I do this often. There is no guarantee in any situation to know if you'll act the way you've trained, but it sure won't hurt at all. This stuff helps me. It may or may not help you.

As I'm writing this a few people come to mind. They have been faced with some really challenging times. There is no way you can prepare properly for some of the stuff you encounter. So don't think my advice is a cure all for handling situations. It's only a suggestion that has helped me.

No comments:

Post a Comment