Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Our First Noel

This is a story of transformation.  About a boy who is facing his fears and growing into a young man and eventually an adult.  This is Noel, he is the boy we sponsor through Freedom Global Outreach.   There aren't many organizations that provide you the opportunity to visit with the children you help care for financially.  What a blessing it is to spend quality time with Noel.  What a blessing it has been watching the transformation of this young boy who when I met him for the first time he sat along the wall  with sadness, fear and a loneliness in is eyes.  They said he would be perfect for me.  Although it is our family that sponsors Noel, I am the only one that has been able to spend time with him.  For now, Emily is planning a trip in the near future! 
After that first trip, I went back a few months later.  Not much changed with Noel.  There was still a sadness.  Or so it seemed.  He rarely showed much positive emotion.  There wasn't much interaction with him and the other boys that I could see.  After many trips back over the past two years, as well as other groups.  We've been able to see Noel go from shy, sad and aloof to somewhat shy, happy and present.  Often smiling and playing with other kids.  He now greets me with a huge smile and a great big hug.   Here he is on my most recent trip.  We were having fun taking selfies.  He not only gets along with me, but is extremely comfortable with others as well. 
Noel's story is not unusual.  All the kids that come into the orphanage have one.  They all need love.  We have a great opportunity to show that to these children, and children around the world.  There are several ways to do that.  You could come visit, you'll most likely go back a second time.  Just sayin. You could sponsor a child.  You could give to the ministry.  You could give to someone like me :-) to go on more trips to invest in the lives of these kids.  
 My mom and sister with their sponsor children.  Linshey, Clenock and Richena
 Those eyes speak.
 Ashli, Gary and Noel
  More selfie fun
Diakon's Flight program spending time with the kids
Vern and Noel.  Told you he gets comfortable with the other visitors!

When the Sponsor organizers said that Noel would be perfect for us, I had no idea.  But now I see the big picture.  They probably didn't even know at the time how perfect.  Because they all are.  They could have given us any of the kids and it would have been perfect.  But let me tell you, when I share about the transformation about Noel.  Going from a young boy who had eyes that said he was scared, that he felt alone, a misunderstanding of where he was and why he was there and yet he moved forward.  With the hope of what's to come he took it day by day.  And over the past two years of battling demons of fear and sadness and allowing others to be a part of his life,  he has grown into a happy, healthy, smiling young man ready to give you a hug whether you want it or not.  Sometimes, when I share about Noel I forget who's transformation I'm talking about.  His or mine.    


No comments:

Post a Comment