Thursday, March 10, 2016

Discovering Dinosaurs

For a while now, I've been working through many of my once held beliefs. God, Jesus, prayer, and how church plays into all that. These among many other things.  

Many times I've doubted completely the existence of God. And quite frankly, I was ok with that. In a way I don't expect many to understand. In a way that allowed me to understand why those that believed still did and that they found comfort in that existence.  Also in a way that I didn't quite fully understand. And I may never will. 

I'm at a healthy place in what I believe now. Of course that could change any time. Relationships can be like mercury, often changing shapes and directions, splitting and reconnecting. 

A few weeks ago I began putting God to the test.  I learned some things.  When I think about Heaven, the feeling of peace comes over me.  And if one is to bring heaven to earth, peace is what needs to be brought.  I also learned that God had died to me.  At least the God that I thought I had known.  Perhaps I finally let go of the branch I had been holding onto and learned to "Trust the River". 

Through this process, I've craved a place to share openly in a safe space. A space where there is no judgement or condemnation.  A place where the things I doubt and questions aren't a critisicm to others beliefs.  My belief or lack of should have no effect on whether yours is legitimate or not.  I have found that there aren't many places to do this.  I've heard from several people that a lot of churches are beginning to have open spaces like this.  There's just one problem...it's still a church.  While I am thankful there is a change, it's not what I'm looking for.  

Regardless of ones beliefs, they should be able to benefit from a place where they are free to open up and release their fears, worries, concerns, doubts, questions and struggles.  Many times just someone else saying...."me too" helps tremendously.  

Knowing you are not alone and that there are people to listen can often bring a tremendous amount of peace.  

I have a vision for a type of community like this.  And this post has nothing to do with dinosaurs.  Or maybe it does.....maybe Discovering Dinosaurs is a metaphor. 

No comments:

Post a Comment