Tuesday, March 7, 2017

Confused about Privilege

So there is this page on facebook about stuff Christian Culture likes.   Yesterday was the first day I had seen it or paid much attention to it.  As far as I'm concerned, it's a page not a person.  For all I know there are several people in charge of it.  So I have NO idea who I'd be talking to if I posted anything.  

They posted an article about progressive Christian podcasts that I didn't read.  I know.  I should have.  But this page was going on and on about how most progressive Christian podcasts don't have on more guests from minority, marginalized or oppressed groups.   I think they have a great point.  It would be great to hear more from those groups.  But all the page and it's followers  seemed to be doing was criticizing some of my favorite podcasts.  Those same podcasts that helped me be more aware of the privilege that I wasn't even aware I had.  The same ones that broadened my perspective of Christianity.  Those same podcasts are the reason I am not an atheist.  Yet.  

So I told this page that nobody has the lock down on who can and can't start a podcast and suggested they do one and have on whomever they want.  I thought it was a good idea.  I'd probably listen to it.

However, I was quickly accused that what I said shows a deep lack of understanding of privilege by the page "leader".  I was mocked, belittled, made fun of, and judged severely by several of the pages followers.  I kept asking sincerely how they could draw those conclusions about me from what I said.  I got no answer.  I didn't fight back, I didn't name call.  I didn't get upset.  I'm just really confused.

It was then it dawned on me that this was the page of someone who was a guest on one of the podcasts they were being critical of.  And I actually enjoyed what she said and learned a lot from it.  But the person that was on the podcast and the person behind the name of the Facebook page had to be two different people.  

I'm still left wondering.  Because I sincerely don't know.  I am well aware of how much privilege I have as a straight white male in my 30's who's physical fit and extremely attractive.  I have a shit ton of priv.  I like to think that I use that privilege to help those that don't have much of a voice have one.  I like to spend time in the margins.  I like to see the "other" perspective.  I'm just having a hard time seeing how anything that happened here actually helps their goal.  I'm an ally, but they see me as a straight white male and that makes me an enemy and part of the problem?

It's like if my kids innocently said something they shouldn't have.  It wouldn't be beneficial for them if I just told them they were wrong and they don't know anything about words.   No.  I have to explain to them why they can't say it and teach them an alternative way to share their message or thoughts.  

So what gives?  Basically, what this group is communicating to me is that every white male shouldn't have a voice or have an opinion.  Hey, not all white men are equal.  There are assholes in every bunch.  And there are nice ones in every bunch that would have a much louder voice to help put an end to privilege if you'd welcome them.  That's not a privilege,  People of the same tribe have more trust towards one another.  Like I said, I am a friend to those in the margins.  It's to bad that a group that champions the cause of the same people that I do, failed to recognize me as a friend simply because I'm a straight white male.  

Don't get me wrong.  I'm not hurt by this page.  I'm not feeling oppressed.  I'm not afraid of all people having an equal voice and equal rights.   If anything, I'm sad because I think they have a great message.  But the ones with the loudest voices treat everyone that fits the image of the most privileged the same way.   And to me...that's no different than people treating all black people the same way just because they're black.

Anyway.  I just had to get that off my privileged chest.  I try to  be as well aware of my privilege as a straight white american male as possible.  It's impossible to never speak from a place of privilege.  Having privilege is like having a shit ton of money.  It's not the possession of it that makes you a horrible person.  It's how you use it that reveals your character.

No comments:

Post a Comment