Sunday, March 26, 2017

Guys Night Out

Since having children, guys nights have kinda of become a thing of the past.  I think it's mutual, most fathers understand that free time is precious and unless it's something big we'll probably just rather sleep.

I miss guys nights, to be honest.  I miss my friends.  I'm also not great at planning.  Because quite honestly...I like sleep.  When your kids are infants, between 0-2, it's a lot of responsibility.  A lot of attention.  Then when they get to 3-8 they are really fun.  They want to play with you.  And even though you gotta scale it back, you finally feel like you are bonding with them.  Then I guess something happens when they turn 9 when they'd rather hang out with their friends.  So maybe in about 10 years or so, guys nights will return.

But last night it was a different kind of guys night.  I took my 5 year old out.  He was super excited.  We started with the rookie go karts at the Carlisle Sports Emporium.  He was so excited.  He's really good at driving his Power Wheels dune buggy and was really good at the power wheels races at the auto show a few months ago.  But this was a slick track.  And even though the cars were slower, they were still hard to control.  And even though kids are a certain height....well....it wasn't a good night.  He did good his first few times around, even doing some drifts right.  Imagine Cars, "turn right to go left" type stuff.  But then he spun out.  And another girl who was to young to know what a brake was hit him.  He kept going and spun out again.   This time he started going the wrong direction.  He didn't know, he got confused.  The dickwads (who were barely 17, if that) working were to busy talking with each other none of them noticed.  Not till daddy got all worked up and turned into the hulk and screamed as he was running out on the track.  However, whoever the worker in the blue shirt and boots was, he did great. He was trying to keep track of the....track.   He helped Josiah pull his car over.  I did find the manager (who was also barely 18 maybe) and calmly, yet expressing importance of the message, explain that when they have young children who are tall enough to drive but not old enough to tie their shoes on the track, the employees need to be on high alert.  They need to be at each corner of the track (there is only 2 of them) with caution flags in case one of the kids spins out.  NOT standing in the middle talking to their friend who came out on his break.   They should be fired. I'm considering following up.

Anyway, Josiah was sad.  He was scared.  He didn't know what was going on.  All I could do was hold him and my heart broke a little bit.  He's a good driver.  Even at 5.  He thought he ruined guys night.  Not even close buddy.

I almost did when we went to Holmes Bicycle store and tried to convince him he needed to get a real pedal bike.  Not just the balance bikes.  But he loves his balance bikes.  And bike bells apparently.  He also told me I should get a new bike if I wanted one.  I don't think that reason for a new bike purchase would have went over well.... Does anyone have any tips for getting your kids to get on a bike?  He's afraid he'll fall over.  I couldn't lie to him and tell him he wouldn't fall over.  I did tell him that I have never sustained any injuries when I rode my bike safely.  I didn't mention all the injuries when I wasn't being as safe.  He probably wouldn't have liked to hear about stitches, concussions and the very recent incident with the cross bar.

But bowling was awesome.  Even when I fell down.  Repeatedly.  The approach to the lane wasn't slip enough and my bowling shoes stuck with more force than the grip on Kyrie Irvings shoes.  Josiah loved bowling.  And he loved his dinner at North Hanover Grill.  He also loves his new haircut he got from the GQ Barbershop in Carlisle.  Even though he complained it took to long.  Dean did do a thorough job.  But it looks fantastic.

To close out the night, we finished our game of monopoly.  And yes.  He beat me.  We have a version that we play on xbox.  I did help him a little bit.  It was hard doing that.  Knowing that I knew what he was doing was going to take away my opportunity.

Which brings us back to being a parent.  Sacrifice.  Not always doing the things we want to do to ensure that our kids learn and understand life right.  Even at our expense.  I knew there was a  good chance that I'd be landing on Atlantic Avenue when I had him build the hotel.  And it was Atlantic Avenue that bankrupted me.  Despite owning all the Blue and Green properties.


No comments:

Post a Comment