Friday, May 27, 2016

Keto is Neato

Thought I'd share a bit how the new diet is going.  Some of you that know me are wondering why in the world I'd need to go on a diet.  My body is a chiseled piece of art.  Some accidentally call me David.  I hate to burst your bubble, but according to my scale, I had about 54 pounds of body fat. Just over 25%.  I'm glad I have an overall positive body image.  That can be a very difficult lie we tell ourselves.  But it is important that we think we look and feel good and healthy.  What others think? Whatever.

I started a Ketogenic diet.  Before I begin, I'm not an expert by any means.  So if someone who is on the ketogenic diet please step in and correct any mistakes I made.    I'm eating a 2000 calorie a day diet, 160g of fat (max), 120g or protein (goal), and a max of 20g of net carbs (carbs - dietary fiber).  The first few days were kinda rough.

Here's what happens.  I think.  Our bodies run off of carbs.  Because that is what we usually eat.  The body breaks down the carbs into glucose and stores it in the muscles and liver.  If we eat so many carbs and don't use them as fuel (which is most people) the carbs turn to fat stores.   This fat rarely gets used as fuel, because we eat carbs again and use that fuel first.  And the process continues.  I heard something like our bodies will store enough glucose from carbs that will get us to about mile 20 in a marathon.  And then there is a crash.  That's why it's called the wall at mile 20.  I can attest that there is most certainly a wall.  But I knocked that mother fucker down.  (you may  be upset that i said that word, I understand.  But if you've ever met that wall at mile 20, you'd be calling it that too).

This is why as a society fat = bad.  Fat is not bad.  Unless you eat 6 slices of bacon, eggs, pancakes and a muffin for breakfast.  Carbs AND Fat do not mix well.  The fat goes immediately to storage as the carbs get burnt first.

So what is Ketogenic?  Starve the carbs.  That's right.  Don't eat carbs.  Eat fat and protein.  It takes 3-6 days to put your body in the fat burning mode. This might not feel good for you, some people get what feels like the flu, it's what the call the keto flu.  My body is awesome, I only got a short headache.  Don't hate.  Now your body is in Ketosis.  Fat burning mode.  There is a ridiculous amount of information out there on this.  I am only doing that I know at this point.

I've lost over 15 pounds in just about 3 weeks.  I don't feel bloated or swollen.  Most of the foods you eat that are carb loaded are pro-inflammatory foods.  So your body treats it that way and sends water to the source of inflammation.  On the keto diet, there is extremely reduced inflammation so there is no need to store the excess water.  Because  you aren't nearly as inflamed or bloated.  The cravings go away after a few weeks.  You aren't hungry, your body is eating itself.  So when someone offers you a sandwhich, it's only a mental battle to say no.  Not a physical one.   So what do I eat?  Bacon, Eggs, Fish, Chicken, Beef, Pork, Cheese, Almonds, Coconut, Mayonaisse, Coconut Oil, Brocolli, Asparagus, Avocado, Coffee with heavy cream, Stevia (if you want sweetener, I don't like it).  I've no shortage of foods.  Basically, real food.

Don't take my word for it.  I feel great.  There are some minor side effects that are different for everyone.  But none that can't be accomodated for that I've found.

Again, I'm no expert.  I'm only speaking on what I've learned so far.  Just like you do every time you speak too.  But there are lots of diets out there.  Find one that works for you so you don't get fat and die.

If you have any questions, I'll refer you to the internet.

No comments:

Post a Comment