Monday, May 23, 2016

There is no Freedom to Dance

I saw a video this morning of some dancers in the Jefferson Memorial being aggressively arrested.   This was from 2011, nothing new.  Apparently a court order was released that said the the memorials were to be a place of contemplation and reflection. Quietly dancing is against the law.  And you will be arrested.  Because you can't reflect of the freedom in america while dancing silently with the one you love.  It is said they were a "performance" and a distraction to other visitors.  Well, I'm sorry you were distracted by two people celebrating Thomas Jefferson who happened to say things like, 

"Liberty then I would say that, in the whole plenitude of it’s extent, it is unobstructed action according to our will: but rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will, within the limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add ‘within the limits of the law’; because law is often but the tyrant’s will, and always so when it violates the right of an individual." 

I think that Jefferson would want americans to dance any damn place they want.  Except for maybe the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier.  That's crossing a line.  Seriously.  But that is where you are expected to be silent.  That is the place to mourn.  There is a respect there that I can't describe.  It's sacred.  

I'm sure there is much more psychology you could dissect about why the police responded the way they did that I don't have the knowledge to unpack.  I think their response to the protest could have gone much better.  Apparently their bosses think so too. Many of them either resigned or got fired.

How about a big sign that says, Be respectful of others and how they choose reflect. But please, be silent.

There is no standard of reflection.  Everyone mourns in different ways.

Anyway...Just some thoughts this morning.  I'm sure it could generate some discussion.  And actually reading some of Jefferson's quotes, it was enlightening.  And revealed how much I don't know history.  But I want to make some.


No comments:

Post a Comment