Friday, May 6, 2016

What's up with the wall?

Some days, you just write.   I love writing.  I love sitting at the computer and allowing my head to spill out onto the keyboard.  I know that even if I don't have much to write about, I still have to get up and write.  I want to get better at it.

I heard a story from Rob Bell yesterday about a wall in his neighborhood.  He noticed this huge wall, 30' tall at least and wide.  There was a very detailed mural on it on a nature scene with waterfalls.  It was an ad for a bottle water company. It said something along the lines of "whatever you do, keep nature in mind"

First off, I'm disgusted by gigantic ads like this.  I wonder how mindful of nature the company is that made the ad.  Certainly nature might be on their mind, but how much do they care.   It reminds of the community in Enola called "The Preserve",  it's at the foot of the mountain and called that because they wanted to preserve nature.  Well, you just destroyed several thousand acres to build houses.....  I'm not against the community, just don't try to act like you preserved anything.  You only preserved what was left.

Anyway, Rob walked by and saw that it had been graffitied. It had a gangs name written several times all over it.  His son told him that's a rookie tag.  Only small rookie gangs will leave their name all over it.   But how did the graffiti get all the way to the top?  That's a big wall!

 A few days later he noticed two men in masks with a scissor lift scrubbing away at the graffiti.  They cleaned it all, it took 11 days.

Couple things, why would someone deface property like that?  And why didn't they continue to do it as they saw it was being cleaned?

Rob saw it as an act of resistance.  The guys cleaning it.  They were basically saying, you can graffiti our wall but we will clean it up.  You and your disrespectful attitude will not win.

I'm glad he drew that out of the situation.  

I went another way with it.  I think the cleaning company was pissed at the water company for not paying them their fair share and not working them enough hours.  So they took their own equipment and sprayed graffiti all over the wall. Made it look like a gang that doesn't exist.  That's how they got it all the way to the top.  Then they told the company what had happened and were assigned to clean it.  I know it's a stretch, but what a way to stick it to the man.

Anyway.  That's may morning writing.  I'm sure I'll have more this afternoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment