Monday, January 16, 2017

Do Puppies have Birth Rights?

Today, I wasn't going to go here.  But all the other topics that I had were really low hanging fruit.  From teachers in childrens church telling young kids that they are NOT amazing and that only God is to a white dude equating him paying taxes to people of color still not being free.  These were easy.

Or I could stretch myself and talk about K9 reproductive rights.  Mind you this is all off the top of my head with very minimal "researching" of the topic.  That's something to keep in mind with all my posts.  I'm merely scratching the surface of most things.  Don't just take my word for stuff....

You've heard Bob Barker (kind of ironic, Barker) say at the end of every Price is Right episode reminding everyone to have their pets spayed or neutered.  In doing so, rights given to them by their creator to bear offspring are taken away by you.  You choose that for your pet.  I'm not saying that's right or wrong.  I'm just saying.  I'm certainly all for it.  There would be hellacious amounts of dogs and cats running around if we didn't.   Owning a pet is a privilege.  They cost a lot of money and require a tremendous amount of care and attention.  I'm not saying that to be controversial, I'm just saying.  In order to adopt a pet you have fees and you have to be prequalified by the adoption agency to prove that you are a capable and responsible pet owner.

But what about when you have a dog that does get pregnant?  What if you don't want puppies?  What do you do?  Yes, abortion for dogs is a thing.

Many people just dump the puppies off at a shelter, or worse, the side of some back country road and leave them for dead.  But sometimes, they give them away.  No adoption agency, no fees, no meetings to see if they are responsible.  Nothing.

But what would be better for those puppies in the long term?  You'd spend few months at a dog shelter with 3.9 million other dogs (estimated but approximate number) that have also been dropped off only to have a 2/3 chance of being adopted or survive the next year.  1/3 of those puppies will be killed.  This is probably why Bob Barker encouraged everyone to have their pets spayed or neutered.


So where was I going with all this?  I know some people are pet lovers and will be moved by all of that.  Which is great.  We have a dog, he's old.  15 is very old for a dog.  He's going to die soon and I'd like to get another dog.  But this isn't to encourage everyone to go adopt a dog.

I just wonder if the orphan crisis around the world moves people more than what happens to dogs.  Did you know over 10% of the WORLD'S children aged 11 or under are working as child laborers?  Read that, child slaves.   There are also 140 million children worldwide that are currently orphans.  1 in every 8 babies are born into some time of war/conflict.

Let's take it to America.   There are 400,000 kids in the foster care and about 100,000 waiting to be adopted.  But of those 30,000 age out of foster care every year and lose all benefits.

These are children.  I just hope those that oppose abortion so much, are also doing an equal or greater amount of work to take care of the children that are already alive and don't have families.  But sadly...I don't think that's happening.  And the excuses are a plenty.

This one did stretch me a bit....and it deserves a hell of a lot more time than 20 minutes.  Maybe tomorrow I'll tell you about my experience with orphans.

No comments:

Post a Comment