Sunday, January 22, 2017

God's Retirement Plan

This is tough one to tackle.  One that I should take a few days and do some studying or interviewing on.  But that would be out of character.

There is NOTHING in the bible that promotes saving money so you can quit your job and live off of your savings.  If there is, I'd love to see it.

So yes....this is for all those people that are devout christians and focused on building up a huge fund of money so you can relax and not worry about it when you are older.

Now, before you go getting defensive.  I'm not saying this is a bad thing.  I'm just saying that you can't defend it biblically.  You can defend being smart with your money.

I'm pretty sure there is some passages about storing up earthly treasures though.

Alright.  I'm not against retirement accounts.  I'm not against spending more than you need.  I'm more or less just stuck in this how to live out the bible in todays world mentality.  Culture is SO different now.  What it takes to take care of your family is so much different now than it was 2000 years ago.  Money was different then.  EVERYTHING was different.

I spend money foolishly on things I don't need.  I waste time foolishly on things that add no value to anyone but me, and that's debatable.  Enjoyable, yes.  Valuable?  Maybe.   But there are hundreds of millions of people in the world that are without food, water and shelter.  It would be easy for christians to meet all those needs.  Look at the numbers.

I've been wondering lately, what's the point of Christianity?  Most of the answers I get are to love one another unconditionally.  What does that look like?  And are you doing it?  When I look at the mass amounts of Christians in America...I don't see a whole lot of loving unconditionally.  Just being honest.  A few, sure.   Others say the goal is to spread the gospel to all the world.  Ok, if so, what are you waiting for?

I know not everyone is the perfect Christian. I know we were born into (most of us that were born and raised in America) a version of christianity that is most likely so far from what it was actually supposed to be.  A Christianity that's grown with America.  So for many, their faith is tied really close to what it means to be an american.  And I can't tell you how wrong I think this is.

For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.  What do you treasure?

Trust me.  I've been kicking my own ass about the Christianity bit for awhile now.  

So, back to my question.  What's the point of Christianity.  Love God?  Love people?  What does that look like?  And what's the end goal?  I think it's so much more than going to church.  So much more than reading your bible.  So much more than just trying to pay bills and keep yourself comfortable.

And that's all for now.....

1 comment: