Tuesday, January 17, 2017

Magic? Mystery? Maybe? or Complete Bullshit?

TL, DR.  You don't need to spend $1500-$2000 a year using a "fat burning keto" powder.  

A couple months ago when I started my ketogenic lifestyle and was getting great results I came across a website called...well, I won't tell you.  But I was interested in keto and cycling and it was speaking my language.  That is, until I learned they were pushing a product and not an actual diet and lifestyle change.  And I almost bought into it.  I almost joined another MLM.  I believed it would work.  But then I came to my senses.  And remember that I had vowed to never try to get rich selling products that people don't need.  So I turned it down.

And ever since I've tried to be nice about it because many people are being deceived by it's distributors.

Rewind.  What is a ketogenic diet?  Ketosis is a process which burns creates ketone bodies to use for fuel, alongside burning stored body fat or ingested fat.  It's natural and safe.  Though it is a diet you do need to pay attention to for a while since nobody living today is used to eating this way.  We've mainly been providing energy from carbohydrates for the better part of the last 30-40 years.  This isn't wrong, it's just hard to stop at enough carbs and not overindulge resulting in those excess carbs turning to stored body fat.

But there are some out there using a product called Keto o/s.  It's exogenous ketones.  They put ketones in a packet so you can use them for energy and to put you in a state of ketosis.  It was initially created for Navy Seals to enhance their cognitive ability in intense situations.  I don't argue it can do that.  I've felt the effects of keto on the brain.

Ok...end of the day, because I don't want to spend to much time here.  You don't need Keto o/s.  If you want another expensive "easy" way to lose weight, go for it.  It might work.  I have no idea.  But know that whoever sells it to you is making money off of it and doesn't actually care about your health.  They think they do, but they don't.  I've been in an MLM before and know how it works.

The person that wants to help you get into ketosis naturally is doing it for free.  They stand nothing to gain financially, only helping you get healthier and develop proper eating habits.

It really grinds my gears when people who I've seen lose 60+ pounds over the past 6 months care about their friends and offer their guidance, only to have a  keto o/s salesperson come in and insist they need their product.  YOU DON'T.

In the rare, case, you might.  But you won't know until months or years of attempting keto on your own.  I know a doctor that follows a keto diet and promotes it to all his patients.  He takes keto o/s as a supplement.  Keto o/s is actually marketed as a supplement, by the way.  SUPPLEMENT.  Look it up.  But he doesn't produce a high amount of ketones on his own and cortisol from his stressful job doesn't help.  So he supplements...fine.  He's using the product the right way.  And this is the ONLY way I'd be comfortable selling it.

I don't want to argue that people would get fat loss results with keto o/s.  So if you take it, fine.  If you want to spend around $150-200 a month with this product, fine.  If you want to save money and actually follow a ketogenic diet, let me know.  I'll help you.  It's not a hard diet to follow.  In fact, I often feel like I am cheating with some of the foods I'm allowed to eat.  There is a lot of misinformation about the Ketogenic diet.  It's not magic.  It's not a mystery.  It's what our bodies were designed to do.

But like anything, being healthy takes work with all the options we have for "food" out there.  Especially when a lot of that "food" engages pleasure receptors in our brains.  Then it's not just our bodies that crave certain foods, it's our minds.  That's where the battle lies...it always has.  Our brains.

You know what's not natural?  Eating whatever you want and taking a product that magically burns fat instead of what you just ate.  I'm not saying that's the claim from the company...but that's how I've heard it marketed.  Just be careful.

No comments:

Post a Comment