Monday, June 6, 2016

Get Lost you Little Bugger

Papa Bear said once, "Sometimes you have to get lost to find what you are looking for."

I love papa bear.  Ok...I don't know him well enough to say that.  But there was some good lessons on those books.

Sometimes you have to get lost to find what you are looking for.  This is so true.  Because if what you are looking for is in familiar territory, you'd be aware of it's presence.  You'd have been there or had it before.  You wouldn't be lost, you'd have just forgot where you'd put said thing.


But what if you don't know what you are looking for?  What if your familiar territory is becoming less than familiar?

When I'm out in the woods on my mountain bike looking for new trails, I can't stay on the old ones.  The old ones get boring.  Well, they shouldn't get boring.  I can always get better.  But I want to uncover new areas.  I can't do this without getting lost.  But I won't actually be lost.  I can always follow the trail I came in on.

It reminds me of the "trust the river" tattoo.   You find yourself being pulled and pulled away from the comfort of your branch on the side of the river.  Afraid to be sucked into that raging mess.  But the pull becomes too great and you let go into the unknown.  It is then you realized the unknown is where you need to be.  In the river story, the river is God.  And God said, if you'd stay on that branch, you'll never get to see just how big I really am.  I am the river.

Get lost.  Don't always stick to the known.  Discover the world.  Have an adventure.  Don't always have the need to be in control.  Because you never really do anyway.


No comments:

Post a Comment