Friday, June 10, 2016

Hold the Music

Or don't.  I love music.  So much so that last summer I redesigned my garage for the sole purpose of recording music. Not for anyone else to listen to, but for my own personal fun and enjoyment.  In my mid to late teens I was in a Punk Rock band with some friends and it was some of the best times of my life.  I would go back to that time.  And take some of my life today with me of course.  But if anyone asked me if I wanted to go play in a punk rock band again, locally, you bet.  In a heartbeat.

On the flip, I don't know anything about music theory or how notes work and all the names.  I just mess around with the notes and find something I like.  Then I remember it and play it.  Coincidently, this is how I do a lot of things actually.

But I do know music incites emotion.  Imagine any movie without music.  It would not be nearly as dramatic.  But I would enjoy watching it for the experience.  Have you ever imagined a soundtrack in your head to your own life? You could probably play a whole movie using nothing but music and it would great.  No dialogue needed and I bet you'd be just as moved, if not more.  You can project what story and language you want on the characters.

Music is used EVERYWHERE that a desired mental state is more beneficial to both the listener and producer of the music.

This is also why I hate music.  No, not music.  How it is used.  To manipulate.  To lead people to a certain emotion or feeling. There are times when I don't want a produced feeling.  I want the real thing.  Sometimes I'll break down and cry during a song simple because the music moves me.  Praise Chorus by Jimmy Eat World did that to me yesterday.  The bridge at the end.  Crimson and clover, over and over.  I'm on my feet I'm on the floor I'm good to go...Come on Davey, play me something that I know.  I want to feel like part of this was mine.

Wait. (this is an in the moment breakthrough in my own head.  This isn't even what the song was about).

Did he just say, I want to feel like part of this was mine?  This is exactly how I feel about the emotions I feel when music is playing.  Are they real?  Are they mine?  Or were they produced?  There is brain science to this.

So STOP playing music in church.  JUST STOP.  I used to do it.  My friends still do it.  Worship music in the church is huge.  A huge money making industry too.  But all it is designed for is to take you to a place in your mind.  To set the tone.  To manipulate.  This is what music does.  And don't get me wrong, it's not always bad.  In fact, it's quite good.   But you know what I don't want?  A manufactured Jesus experience.  I want the real deal.  I want to feel real God emotion.  Not an emotion inspired by vibrations from a string.

You could say maybe God uses the music.  I don't want no stinking maybes when it comes to God.  People base their whole life around Jesus.  The way they live, the rules they keep.  They even try to influence others based on these beliefs.  What if you're wrong?  I don't want no maybe it's God.

I believe God is big enough to reach people where they are.  In the moment.  No influences needed.  Is God not?

If God indeed does move through people, which I do believe that happens, why are some people assholes for God?  People that hurt in the name of Christianity.  To those people that were hurt by people, wouldn't God show up in their life?  No music, no fluff, no manufactured emotion.  Just that person in their hurts and pains and God.  IS God big enough to do that?


I'm still waiting for that God. Or maybe we are God.  Maybe music is God.

Maybe.  it's always fuckin maybe.

No comments:

Post a Comment