Monday, June 27, 2016

Term Limits

So....I was going to write about Pastors and Politicians this morning.   You know, those two topics EVERYONE wants to talk about.  Religion and Politics. But I changed my mind.  I don't know what it's like to be a politician or a pastor.  I know that they have their fair share of stress.

The point I wanted to make was not going to be a solid stance on term limits, but rather a desire to help them continue to remember why they started their career in the first place.

I don't know what it takes to become either.  So who am I to offer up an opinion?

Here is my big concern though.  The further in you get, it's easy to start trying to keep a paycheck instead of doing the right thing.

I could be wrong on this, but it seems like when a pastor is hired their isn't much of a previous relationship with the church.  They submit their resume and a selection committee reviews it and determines if the pastor is a good fit.  What if after two years the new pastor starts having to realizations about his or her faith.  What do they do with it?  Especially if it's somewhat of a controversial belief within the church.  Like...is hell real?  Is there really a hell?  Do we let homosexuals serve in the church?  Is the old testament real or just a story?

I'm worried that pastors don't have much of an open door to walk through some of those topics with their congregations.  Because depending on how long the old pastor was there, they might have that congregation trained to believe a certain way.  And I'm afraid that more often than not, pastors don't bring up these topics and just keep preaching a generic message instead of making things potentially more difficult.

I can't blame them.  But then they are left to deal with their thoughts and feelings alone.  And that's not right.  Congregations need to be more open to have their hearts changed about long held beliefs that may be wrong.  In the very least, entertain the conversation.

As far as politicians...I thought they did have term limits called elections.  But I guess many of them don't.  I have no idea.  But as one that serves for the best interests of the people of which you govern, I think it might be wise to work hard to keep your position.  You chose that line of work, so this should be a no brainer for you.  Not just one to earn a paycheck.

No comments:

Post a Comment