Thursday, June 30, 2016

What happens when you Fast?

I know.  My titles are lacking.  First...let me talk about fasting.

I don't know anything scientific enough for my science friends.  But here is my experience.

There are a few people that choose to not eat for a meal, a day or any number of days.  Some do it for spiritual reasons.  Others for a "cleanse".  I'm always intrigued to hear about what people come away with.  It's usually either I cheated, or it was the most amazing thing ever.  I remember a time I did a 3 day fruits and veggies fast.  By the third day I was feeling so good I decided to go a full week, with the remaining 4 days only liquid.  By day 7 I was on point.  I was high.  I couldn't believe how could I felt.  If only I knew the science  behind what I was doing.  Day 7 we happened to be at a mini conference for our amway business with DC International.  They had a chug and chew competition to win free conference tickets.  You eat a meal bar and chug an energy drink and the first one to finish wins the $80 dollar ticket.  I was picked to compete.  I didn't know what to do!  I was fasting!  I've always wanted to compete!  But I didn't.  I picked someone else to do it.  This was heresy.  You don't just tell your mentor you won't do something.  But I did.  That night I avoided all the chicken wings too.  The next day at church when I was supposed to eat, I couldn't.  I couldn't bring myself to do it.  Pastors at the AG church literally prayed over me so I could eat.  Guess what I settled on?  A donut.  A damn donut.  FROM CHURCH!!!!  It was good.  But it took me right back to my old eating habits.  I had, in that 7 days went from carb burner to fat burner.  And I was happily eating my own body fat. There was nothing wrong with me.  If only I knew then.

I could give you many many other stories of my history with doing small fasts.  They were all so enlightening.  I attributed them all to being spiritual.  I'm not so sure now.  Day one was easy.  Day two was really hard.  Day three also really hard.  But by day 4.....It's almost like you'd be letting yourself down if you'd eat.  So you do.  And most people rip into whatever like mad.  But I bet if you'd eat an egg, you'd be satisfied for several hours.  I've come to believe it's not spiritual at all.  That our bodies are designed to be able to work off of very little.   You'd be surprised.  I'm surprised.  Our bodies are pretty amazing.  And depending on what you believe in, if God created you, I guess coming to those realizations that you don't have to rely on food as much as you think can be a pretty spiritual thing.

It always surprised me thought...that all the times churches have encouraged fasting they never taught you what happened in your body when you gave up food for a few days.  Was it ignorance?  Most likely.  Or was it fear that science would prove that enlightenment you get after a few days?

The foods you eat play a huge role in how you feel mentally.  You really do become what you eat.  If you eat junk, it is very likely that will effect your mental health.  It's all in your gut.


No comments:

Post a Comment