Tuesday, September 13, 2016

Freedom can be a double edged sword.

Just a couple more things about the current "protesting" happening in the nfl.   And honestly...I don't really want to post this.  Because I'm afraid it's too late.  But I'm going to anyway.  At the risk of people thinking I hate the national anthem.  I don't.  But I'm afraid some people can't see through that.  Maybe it's just me, but I don't make a song that special.  I don't really care if you like the Ataris song "San Dimas High School Football Rules".  You don't have to rock out to that song when it plays.  It's ok.  It doesn't speak to the entirety of your being.  Guess what?  I don't listen to mainstream music.  I've never listened to an entire beatles album.

Secondly.  I don't want the National Anthem to turn into a symbol of...If you stand you are protesting anyones right to not stand and you think black people need to shut up about wanting equality.  And I don't want those that choose not to stands message to be confused with hating america and disrespecting soldiers.

I don't like calling any thing they are doing a protest.  They are people saying we need to change the way african americans and other minorities are treated.  AKA, Stop racism.  They are NOT protesting all of america, it's soldiers, or it's people.  Sorry they had to use the National Anthem as an opportunity to start that message, but(have you listened to the part of the song we don't sing?)

You know I have a growing distaste for the national anthem?  I really do.  Because it's becoming something it's not intended to be.  And it's everyones fault.  Long before Colin K took a knee.  Now, I know, I know, this song means a lot to people.  It's roots run deep.  But for the vast majority of americans, it's nothing more than a patriotic song played before school and sporting events.  I'd even go as far to say that it's part of a pre-game ritual and athletes us the song to spur emotions from previous performances to get the psyched for the game.  It's way overplayed.  It's not special anymore for most people.  And it sucks.  Because for those that the Star Spangled Banner holds a special meaning, their song is being dragged through the mud.  It's like the horse from that war horse movie that got caught in the crossfire.  I feel like the National Anthem is not becoming a symbol of division within america.  And honestly...it's the ones that promote the NA that are doing the majority of that dividing.  Because those kneeling are NOT protesting the song.  They are using the song as a tool to deliver a message.  And instead of listening to the message, people are mad they didn't stand.  And this is infuriating.  When you can't put your tradition aside to listen to the plight of someone.

Fuck this.  If you disagree with me, you disagree.  I'm not changing your mind.  If you agree you agree.

And that's all that seems to be happening.  There is no middle.

I want to see people work together.  I really do want to stop arguing about what's wrong with the petty shit.  Take all my favorite songs.  I don't give a shit.  If it means everyone be treated as equals, take every special song that every existed in my playlist.  Oh, you mean to tell me those songs aren't as important as the national anthem?   Says who?  You?

I get it.  It's an important song to you.  I need everyone to really listen to that.  I understand this is an important song to you.  But who you are, as a person, and your emotions are more important to me than a song.  The entirety of your being is not a song.  Your song that means so much to you, means so much to you.  Because I guarantee that when I hear that song and when you are hear that song, we both think totally different things.   But maybe...just maybe, because of whats happening with athletes today and their "stand" for racial equality, maybe we are thinking the same thing.  That racial equality does need to happen.  And we need to make sure the symbol that unites us all, remains that way.  And if America can't become the land of the free (which it mostly is, but we can't ignore the minority where it isn't) with liberty and justice for all, we need to stop pretending it is and stop forcing people to acknowledge a lie.

Especially when stores are using CK jerseys as doormats.  And people are blaming kneeling for dropped passes and calling in karma.  And all the hateful insults being slung for someone trying to make things better.

FYI...I'm not going to engage outside of this blog.  I usually don't anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment