Monday, September 19, 2016

Who's a Wedding for anyway?

Why not share an opinion on weddings?  They are boring, no one really wants to go anyway.  Right?  Let's just be honest.  The ceremony is the shortest part of the whole event.  That all being said, I'm not at all unhappy with my own wedding.

I think though, for so long young people see these visions of walking down the aisle with all their friends standing up along side them while they commit the rest of their lives to their partner.  It's usually in a church or an outdoor setting.  It's almost always very nice and put together.

But seriously, everyone just wants to get through the pomp and circumstance and get right to the reception with all the food and dancing.  The party.  And the couple really just wants to get to the honeymoon portion.

It's ok to enjoy weddings.  I'm not saying they aren't memorable, exciting, special events.  They are.  I'm just saying, it doesn't have to always be the same old rent a church and have a reception at a hotel ballroom party.  This is only the most popular form of wedding.

I know a couple who is having their wedding on a cruise.  They said that it doesn't matter who comes along.  They will be having a big party at home to celebrate the occasion with those that couldn't come.

We have a family of 4.  To commit to going to this wedding would cost in the ballpark of $2800-3200 dollars.  In no way would I ever expect someone to spend that kind of money to go to a wedding.

I was fortunate.  We had a lot of family members from distance come to our wedding.  I'm very grateful.  But I also know that my grandparents were local and they all didn't come just for the wedding.  There was a lot of other family here as well to visit.  But the fact they came is pretty cool.

But looking back, I'm sure we would have all rather spent the money on a vacation/reunion together.  For all I know, you did have a reunion while we were on our honeymoon.

So why the hubbub over weddings.  Businesses capitalize on your emotions.  They market weddings like crazy.  You need this, you need that.  Buy this, buy that.  Don't even get me started on the cost of engagement rings.   Weddings can cost $10,000 or more.  This is INSANE! No one should be responsible for those costs.  Not parents, not bride and groom.  It goes basically like this.

You don't need any of that.  Do what you and your mate want to do.  If that is a big ordinary wedding, awesome.  Seriously.  I don't want to take that away from you.  But you don't "have" to do that.  You can do whatever you want.  If you find yourself asking what your parents want, or what your friends would like or what your Aunt Verna expects to see...just stop.  It's your day.  For you to celebrate a life long commitment.  Do what you want.

At the end of that really boring opinion piece on weddings.  I'm really happy for anyone getting married.  I hope you put as much thought into spending the rest of your life with person you are to wed as you did about planning the wedding.  Commitment is no joke.

But seriously, have fun at your wedding.  If you aren't having fun planning your wedding, stop.  Not the wedding, all the planning.  It's your day.  No one else's.  If anyone else wants a say in your day, they can plan the parts they want to see.  Weddings are NOT family reunions.  There should be no pressure on the bride and groom to make sure all the family can make it.

Anyway....I feel like a bunch of people will read this and hate me because I'm a downer on typical weddings.  I'm not.  I just want to make sure the wedding is about the two people getting married.  And if they are the people that want to include family and friends, cool.  But when we think of the typical wedding, it doesn't always have to be like that.  It can be whatever you want it be.  Even if that's just a trip to the courthouse.

 Your wedding is your wedding.  Do whatever you want.  Don't worry about what anyone else thinks.

No comments:

Post a Comment