Thursday, November 17, 2016

Engaging with Disruption

More than 300 different types of harassment or aggressive intimidation have happened since Donald Trumps election just over a week ago.  Most of this happened inside of K-12 schools.  I've heard of many stories from various outlets of frightening situations happening in grocery stores, department stores, college campuses and even churches.

Granted....these are stories.  They get clicks.  These situations could have been happening before the election as well.  But in K-12 schools?  There is enough bullying already happening already.  No need for our adult stuff to influence them.

I saw and shared a video yesterday on how to intervene in a situation where someone is being harassed.   I often think of what I'd do if I'd see a bully picking on someone.  And honestly, it's not good.  I'd loose it.  Honest.  I have a mood disorder.  And I won't be overcome with sadness for the victim.  Well, I might.  But that will come out in anger at the bully.  Their only defense would be to shoot me dead.  Perhaps God is real and He is watching out over all the bullies that I don't catch them in the act.  Back to the video....It said just to engage with the victim.  Make small talk.  Ask about anything.  Ask about football, their favorite local coffee shop or what their favorite car is.  Ask them about anything.  IGNORE THE AGGRESSOR.  If they don't leave, see if you can get the victim to leave with you to go grab a bite to eat or something.

Unfortunately, they didn't go any further to help explain if the aggressor follows you.  Rest assured, I'll be on the lookout for these events.  I hope I don't find any.  Not for my sake, not for the bully's sake but for the sake of the victim.  No one deserves to be treated like shit.  In the meantime, I'll do my best to be nice to all people.  Even exchanging pleasantries to my neighbors despite how they may have voted.



No comments:

Post a Comment