Wednesday, November 2, 2016

Fun D. Raising

I was going to right about fundraising.  But my title I just made up makes me really want to write about how to raise a fundamentalist christian and how much it will fuck with their heads when they grow up.  Get it?  Fundie Raising.

But I think for today we'll stick with fundraising.   Or better Fund Erasing.

So many people criticize the church for not doing enough.  There are some solid statistics that show that the suggested 10% tithe isn't even close to ten percent. And that even with the less than ten that they get, hardly any of it actually goes out the doors to help the least of these.  The homeless and helpless.  The ones Jesus told us to look after.

I have questioned in the past about the expenditures of churches on buildings and "stuff".  Like sound equipment, tv's, production stuff, salaries....etc.   I know that churches do great things for the people that attend.  And even for the community.  But there is no way to measure the output of all the attenders of church.  But output, I mean how they care for others and the stewardship of their money.    Lets just talk money for the sake of this post.  I've been told that the church "building" needs to have the facilities and structure for it's members.  And that because of that, it brings in additional funds to go "out".  While it's good that the church building takes care of it's own, it begs the question if all the "fluff" is needed.  Could you all meet as small groups and still raise the money that eventually goes out?  Does that make sense?

Could a church body raise the amount of money that would otherwise go to a cause outside the doors of a church if the didn't have the church building to maintain?

Don't get me wrong.  I'm not really complaining.  Just asking.  Think of it like fundraising.  I can throw a huge event.  I'll spend a thousand dollars putting it together.  Party supplies, invitations, marketing, bands, speakers...the works.  I'll try to get volunteers to run the show.  Or I'll organize a 5k.  I'll book the timing company, ask for volunteers, marketing.....etc.    At the end of these events, what amount do I walk away with?  Is it worth it?  To do the event?  Or would it be easier to just ask people for money?  Say I spent $1000 and brought in $1500.  I netted $500 for the cause.  Awesome. Would it have been easier just to try to round up $500?  Or what price could you put on getting others involved too?  Awareness I guess. And a thing called economy.  You are creating jobs along the way.

Again, no right or wrong answer really.  Just thinking.  There's no way to assess a monetary "value" of a church.  And it's not like they force people to go.  Churches are sort of like the government actually.  They make decisions and hopefully allow people to vote on them.  Their budget should be public.

Speaking of fundraising.  Why do people feel like they need something because they gave?  Like a donate $10 and get this?  What happened to just giving because it was the right thing to do?  Because you felt a desire to help?

One of my favorites is the restaurants that invite you to participate in fundraiser nights where  portion of your bill goes to "x" charity.  Usually these are invite only, not all patrons that night.  So in order to get the percentage, you need to bring the people.   Here's an idea...if someone invites you to one of these, don't go.  Just hand them $50 and eat at home.  They'll appreciate it much more than the $5 they'd get from the restaurant.


No comments:

Post a Comment