Saturday, December 24, 2016

Blessed. So Not Blessed.

A few days ago I read a story by an online comic about why we should go to church.  They went on and on talking about community and how church is a glimpse of heaven.  They went on to say that some people around the world have to go to church in secret.  Their love for Jesus is great that they literally risk their lives and jail to go to church. That while we in America are sipping out lattes they are watching out for corrupt government and suicide bombers.  They were just giving some reasons why we should go to church.....

Obviously I have some differing opinions.  I don't think going to a building on a Sunday morning is the pinnacle of faith.  There are lots of ways to have community.  Church is one of them and important for many, but very low on the list in my opinion.  But the first comment I saw was this, "We are so blessed in this country to go to church freely and without persecution!"  Really?  Blessed?  We're the blessed ones?

Lets start here with the beatitudes.  Specifically one of them.  “You’re blessed when your commitment to God provokes persecution. The persecution drives you even deeper into God’s kingdom."  Says Jesus.  So no....the fact we can go to church in America without persecution is not a sign of being blessed.

I hear it all the time.  Most of the time is being thankful for being blessed.  But I don't think we really know what being blessed truly means.  So please, just be thankful for your situation.  Don't call it something it may not be.

Yesterday I wrote about comparing Christmas gifts to others.  I don't ever remember doing that as a kid.   But maybe we should.  Especially as Christians.  What does Christmas look like for families in Aleppo?  What does it look like for families in Haiti?  What does it look like for families in Afghanistan? Uganda? How about the family down the street from you?   Who's blessed?   I'm not so sure.  While it's good to celebrate and spend time with family, it's not good to assume everyone is having the same kind of experience you are.

We can't forget those that are hurting.  We can't forget those that aren't as fortunate.

Thanks for reading more writings of Jon trying to sort through life and all that my thoughts throw at me.

Lets look at the second half....  “Not only that (referring to being persecuted)—count yourselves blessed every time people put you down or throw you out or speak lies about you to discredit me. What it means is that the truth is too close for comfort and they are uncomfortable. You can be glad when that happens—give a cheer, even!—for though they don’t like it, I do! And all heaven applauds. And know that you are in good company. My prophets and witnesses have always gotten into this kind of trouble."

I've been called a heretic.  I've been told by pastors that I'm doing it all wrong and creating a false Jesus.  I've been told by many that they are concerned for me and praying for me.   But I will tell you this....I've had several "less than coincidence" encounters that I can't ignore over the past year.  All of those coincidences continue to point me in the direction that I'm going and asking the questions I am.  So if you are praying...thanks.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment