Thursday, December 15, 2016

The Titanic ALWAYS Sinks. (and other stuff)

Always.  That's the problem.  No matter how many times you watch the movie you know it sinks.  But every time you hold out just a little hope....

When they made that movie, you knew going into it what the outcome was.  But you watched it anyway.

I heard conversation on a the Bad Christian podcast about knowing the outcome of a sports game and watching it anyway.  If you found out your team won, you could watch the whole thing knowing that no matter what happened your team would win.  But what if you found out they lost?  Could you still watch it? I think I could, the way I watch titanic.  I have to see for myself.  At what point did they lose?  Was it on the final play?  Was it on the opening drive?  Either way, it's a little easier watching when you know the ending.

What about other things?  What's the one thing that we know will happen in our life?  We die.  Yep.  I went there.   Every single one of us dies.  The problem is, we don't know when.  We spend our whole lives trying to get a grasp on how to sustain our lives.  Some of us keep pushing the boundaries of what we can get away with and still survive.  Think extreme sports, those athletes could die any time they go flying down a rock covered mountain on a snowboard or mountain bike.  But the very thing that could kill them, makes them come alive.

I can tell you that when I'm flying down a rock covered, tree filled mountain on a 12 inch wide trail riding my mountain bike that I feel alive.  No so much when I'm riding up that hill though.... But maybe the risk of death isn't as imminent as one might think.  6 deaths per year in a sport that millions of people participate in every year.  Not to bad.

But is the goal to not die and sustain your life as long as possible?  Or is it to live your life to the fullest?

What about from a Christian perspective where you believe in Heaven.  Wouldn't that be the ultimate?  Going to heaven?   I never understood why Christians wanted to live as long as possible when they knew in death they would be with Jesus.  Maybe they aren't that confident.   Maybe they think the longer they live the more people they can "save".

"He is not fool that gives up what he cannot keep, to gain what he cannot lose"
-Jim Elliot

Jim Elliot died at 28 years old in the mission field spreading the good news of Jesus.  If you so choose, look up Operation Auca.  Here,  I'll do it for you.  It's pretty inspiring.  The very people that Elliot and his group were trying to reach, killed them violently.  That's what this tribe was known for. After their death, Elliot's widow went back to the tribe.  Over the next several years,  Elizabeth Eliott and Rachel Saint (another widow from the initial contact group), made contact with the Huaorini tribe.  You can read about the rest.  But they had more success reaching these people than their husbands did. Figures, leave it up to a woman.  

Anyway...this blog has kind of taken a life of its own.  Not quite where I was planning on going with it.  

You think christianity is under attack in America because bakeries have to make cakes for gay weddings?  HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA  Give me a break.   Maybe if the gay couple cut your self inflated head off.  That's not happening here. That is happening in other parts of the world.   American Christianity is under attack today.  It's being attacked by other Christians.  And I'm glad.  

Perhaps that's why Jesus said... "Blessed are those that are persecuted, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven."  

Alright...I'm done.  This is book material.  I'm out of my league.  Bake the cake.  You know why?  Jim Eliott gave gifts to a tribe of violent people that definitely didn't believe in Jesus.  What's your excuse?  


No comments:

Post a Comment