Tuesday, December 13, 2016

Ever seen a Arch Bridge supported in the Middle?

Not a trick question.  No.  You haven't.  Because the arch bridge is designed to not need a center support.  It doesn't need it.

A few years ago I took my shoes off.  I didn't wear them at all.  One of the first things people asked was about the arch.  Most people assumed the arch would flatten out.  Most people said they could never do that because their arches need support.  It was incredibly frustrating listening to that.  Why do you think it's called the arch of your foot?  It's designed to be an arch.  Not to be supported.  Basic foot mechanics.  If you wear shoes with arch supports, you are only hurting yourself.  Why would your arch get stronger if you supported it?  Want strong feet?  Take your shoes off.  Do you stand all day and your back hurts?  Take your shoes off.  That 12mm or so elevated heel shifts your center of gravity causing your legs and spine to be all out of whack.  All shoe companies want to do is make money off of you.  

What reminded me about this?  I went shoe shopping for basketball shoes a few days ago.  It's hard to find a basketball shoe in size 13 that fits well.

What annoyed me most about not wearing shoes....people commenting on my lack of shoes.  After two years I couldn't do it anymore.  It wasn't worth it.  I got sick of the public places and people thinking they knew laws and all that bullshit.   I could talk about that again.  I could go on for days.

Instead...what else keeps us comfortable?  How many things do we use so we don't have to work?  A few days ago I talked about people taking medication to help them feel better when all they needed to do was a diet change.  But many don't want to actually do the work to help themselves feel better.

Back to footwork.  If I had a dollar for everyone that said running hurts that's why they don't do it, I'd be rich.  Do
you know why it hurts?  I have a few ideas.  First, you don't listen to your body.  If you haven't ran in years, don't start.  Just walk.  Second, you run for the wrong reasons.  Many people think running is the key to weight loss.  No, the food you eat will determine how much weight you lose or gain.  Run for fun.  Not for weight loss.  Third, your form is shit.  Your heels hurt so you think you need more heel cushion.  NOOOOO.  You need to lose the heel cushion.  You shouldn't be landing on your heel.  The heel wasn't designed as a shock absorber.  Remember the arch?  It's all designed to work together as a shock absorber.  Landing on your heel sends shock up into your knee and up to your back.

Take your shoes off and run.  Start short distances.  You'll learn real quick how to run while reducing strain on your joints and landing softly on your feet.  You won't go far at first.  You might be sore.  You'll be using muscles you never had to use before, thanks to shoes and bad form.   Once you learn good form, you may decide to go back to shoes.  Which is fine.  I did.  I use Altra's.  They have a wide toe box and zero drop in the heel.

No comments:

Post a Comment