Friday, December 2, 2016

We Get What We Want.

When I was a kid and wanted a new toy, I had two options.  Wait for my birthday or Christmas. Sometimes my Grandma Betty would get come through though.  "They" say that buying kids alot of the things the ask for isn't good for them.  They say it will spoil the children.  They say the children will grow up "entitled".

I'm going to disagree.

As soon as I was old enough, I tried to get everything I couldn't have.   Even today I buy my kids stuff that I didn't have when I was their age.  They have way more toys than I ever had.  Maybe from a young age they'll learn that happiness isn't found in stuff.  That way when they get older they don't feel like they have to go and buy all the things they were deprived of as kids.

Raising children is tough.  There is no black and white, do this, not that playbook when it comes to parenting.  One thing I see alot, is parents looking at their adult kids and saying something like "I guess I did pretty good didn't I"?  Stop saying that please.  It's not about you.  Your kid did amazing, despite any parenting flaws you had.

I don't think anyone really knows at all what they are doing as parents.  Best thing to do?  Love your kids.

No comments:

Post a Comment