Sunday, July 10, 2016

If I were to be honest

Like I said yesterday.  We took an impromptu road trip to Atlantic City yesterday.  It was a weird day for me.  I usually like road trips, thought we haven't taken many with our kids yet.  Sometimes I like getting there more than actually being there.  And then I get bored and want to go back home.  There is one place where that doesn't happen....when I go to haiti.  I don't currently have plans for another trip there.  But it is beckoning.

Back to AC.  The kids had fun yesterday and were fairly well behaved.  We didn't do much.  Went to an aquarium.  Josiah touched some sharks (and so did his mommy, well, one shark one time).  Had lunch but I wasn't hungry.  We then went and tried to find a coffee shop so I could get some coffee with heavy cream, cause that's my jam.  Found a nice coffee shop four miles away.  THEY HAD NO HEAVY CREAM.  What kind of coffee shop doesn't have heavy cream?  Ventnor Coffee.  That's what kind.  The ice cream and smoothie shop next door didn't even have any.  Ventnor No 7311 does though!   We made our way back to the Flagship all Suites hotel where we got a room for fairly inexpensive by AC waterfront standards.  That's about the only good think this place has going for it. The view.  I realized something though.  Views don't do much for me if we are only going to be here for a night.   I'd much rather have proximity to places I can walk to with relative ease.  Like a coffee shop with heavy cream.  And even if I could here, the elevators are incredibly slow.  So if you want to leave your floor, add 15-20 minutes.  I wish I was joking.  We swan in their stinky pool, played in the arcade and had dinner at the hotel restaurant.          


                
       
This morning I woke up ready to come home and make note of the things we'd do differently next time of impromptu weekend trips.  There is no coffee shop to walk to.  But even if there was, I don't want to fight with the elevators.  So I came out to write.  The view is nice, but not satiating.  There is a sail boat making it's way out to the Atlantic from Reeds bay.  And then I remember the phone call I got from Georgia yesterday that I ignored while I was checking in.  One I was expecting but forgot about.  It was a hiker I met on friday at Pine Grove Furnace.  I told the two of them if they needed a lift for food or errand, call me and see if I'm around.   I just picked up my phone to listen to the voicemail.  It was the hiker, asking if I knew where to find bud in boiling springs, pa.   I don't feel so bad about not being home.  Maybe when "bud" is legal in pa, we could have had a pleasent evening chatting about his trail journeys.  

This cheered me up a bit.  I enjoyed the sail boat a bit longer and continued to write.  But I'm still longing to keep moving.  There is nothing here in Atlantic City for me.  Except my family who wants to explore and have a good time.  I wish I knew how to do that here.  Thought this place holds fond memories...it was the first time my wife and I held hands.  That was a long time ago and we don't even remember where we stayed that weekend.  

Looking around, I can't deny that the problem is not with the ocean views, hotel, or major beach town.  It lies inside my mind and my depression.  That I thought was getting better.  Perhaps it is....

No comments:

Post a Comment