Thursday, July 28, 2016

Shake off the Dust. You Can.

Don't ever feel like you can't do something.  That certain things aren't for you.

Have you ever been to a wedding or dance and sat watching those that are dancing wishing you could do the same?   But you fear that people would look at you and make fun of your lousy dancing.   How many times have you looked up front and commenting on the people dancing lousy?  Never.  Even though they all are.  So what makes you think anyone else would look at you and make fun of you?  NO.  Every person would also wish they had enough self confidence to go dance.  And they'd wish they were as courageous as you to go dance and have fun.

Get out of your own head.  At what point in time did someone tell you that you didn't know how to dance?  Or did you tell it to yourself?  

There are so many things we do or don't do because of what someone, ONE PERSON, said to us years ago that was a result of their own insecurities.

When I was in a band, the singer of the band told me countless times I couldn't sing.  So guess what? That carried with me.  Still does.  This was 15 years ago.  He was better than I was.  And I was certainly no threat to the job.   But to tell someone they aren't good....made me never want to sing again.  I love singing.  One of my favorite things to do.  But because some Jackass got in my head 15 years ago....I don't do it much in front of people.  A handful of times, maybe.

But I also know what he said stemmed from his own insecurities.  So while I can be upset at what he said to me, I still feel a level of empathy of what he must feel as well.  People told him he wasn't the best singer either, but he still did it.

Who told you that you couldn't do it?  Where did you get that image in your head that you aren't good at something?

And even if we aren't good at dancing, since when did we care?  I'll take the courage to horrible dance and sing confidently than the ability to actually do it well.  It's much easier to get better at those things than develop courage.

Or how about the feelings of imposter syndrome....Lets go down that road tomorrow.

Be courageous.  Set others free with the fun your are having and the amount of shits you don't give.

No comments:

Post a Comment