Saturday, July 2, 2016

Independence and Immigration

I have a friend who shares some opposite views on a lot of things.  They will remain nameless.  But "he" is a friendly, honest and caring guy.  Although he may not admit it.  We were having a conversation a while back about all things controversial.

I'm learning that when talking with an opposing view, it's best I not engage to much on what I believe.  But ask questions about why they believe what they do.  And when I say learning, I mean like last week I learned that.

It's Independence day weekend.  Over the past few days on my "on this day" app on Facebook I posted stories of what the signers of our declaration of independence endured. It's intense.  Including the story of Andrew Clark.... He gave two sons to the officer corps in the Revolutionary Army. They were captured and sent to that infamous British prison hulk afloat in New York Harbor known as the hell ship "Jersey," where 11,000 American captives were to die. The younger Clarks were treated with a special brutality because of their father.

One was put in solitary and given no food. With the end almost in sight with the war almost won, no one could have blamed Abraham Clark for acceding to the British request when they offered him his sons' lives if he would recant and come out for the King and Parliament. The utter despair in this man's heart, the anguish in his very soul, must reach out to each and one of us down through 200 years with the answer:

"No."

I don't think any of us can truly imagine what that was like.  However, I'm also not going to pretend I knew what it was like for all the Native Americans already living here to see their land being taken over.  Let us not forget that we were ALL immigrants escaping oppression.  

Well, my friend was talking about immigration and refugees and he said that many of his foreign friends who came here legally and worked really hard to earn their citizenship, get an education, a degree and a good job are pissed.  Because now all these people that are being tortured, killed, bombed, shot at and are under severe threats of violence are allowed to just come over and be placed somewhere without working or earning it.  (I'm just going to let that there.  You know, that whole keep my opinion to myself thing)

I didn't quite think of it at the time, but he should have asked his foreign friend what they thought of all the americans that were just born here.  They didn't do jack shit.  They didn't earn anything.  What about them?  

So, this independence day weekend.  What will you be celebrating?  What sacrifices have you made for freedom of yourself AND of others?  What freedoms have you taken from others for your own freedom?   Are you in need of some freedom?  

There is always a cost of freedom.  ALWAYS.  Are you willing to pay?  

Stay tuned for tomorrow about a blog on assuming what people really think based on a short blog! 

No comments:

Post a Comment