Tuesday, July 26, 2016

What's the purpose of life?

Certainly has to be more than getting up early and writing a blog.  It has to be more than your job.  It has to be more than your hobbies.  It has to be more than raising your children right.  It even has to be more than helping others.

We've been here for thousands of years.  What for?  People just keep having babies and we keep doing more and more cool shit with stuff we make.  And more and more dumb shit.

Thinking about the progress of humanity and technology is simply stunning.  And while there is an upward curve...it still seems so bleak.  With the rise in technology we hear so much more about the lack of humanity.  And it makes it seem like things are getting worse.  But they aren't.

There is a longing in my for something.  I'm not sure what it is.  Adventure maybe?

When I was a youth and an early teen, no one gave me permission to go out on my own.  I was a crab in a bucket.  I was always part of some kind of group.  I felt safe.  Actually...it was Doug....he told me I should go do some sort of a trip overseas.  While I was free.  He even offered to pay for it. I was 18 then.

Fast forward.  I'm 33 now.  Married ten years and two kids.  2 and 4.  We've been on an adventure for some time now.  I wouldn't want to spend it with anyone else.  I didn't go on that trip until december of 2012.  And I've been to haiti almost ten times since.

Patience.  That's my adventure right now.  My kids are 2 and 4.  We will have lots of future adventures.  And I can't wait to experience that with my kids and my wife.

And as far as the purpose of life.  I think we put way to much emphasis on a "calling" or some grand plan for you life.  How about start with you.  Who do you want to be?  What kind of person do you want to be?  Figure that out...and do that.  Do that every day.  Do what you love and love what you do.

Every day we plant seeds not knowing who will sit under the shade that plant provides.  The scary part....that shade might not be pleasant.  Sometimes you need some sun, sometimes you need some shade.  Be careful of those seeds you sow.....


No comments:

Post a Comment