Saturday, July 16, 2016

Strider and Be.

Yesterday I embarked on a journey south on the Appalachian Trail.  I had no idea how far I would go, but I knew it was going to be less than 13 miles.  I was meeting a friend on the trail.  He was thru hiking and in the area.  So I thought it would be nice to bring him some gatorade and spend some miles on the trail with him.

I set of to meet Strider (trail names are given to thru hikers of the AT) around 11:30 AM on friday morning after knocking out a quick 3.5 hours of work.  I was shocked at the amount of thru hikers were on the trail.  In the 5 miles I walked to meet Strider, I had passed about 15-20 hikers.   Within 2 miles of the trail I was hot.  But this is fine for me.  I don't mind the heat.  But then I got to the woods and the bugs came, so I picked up my pace.  And then the back of my right foot was developing a blister on my achilles.  I wore my trail running shoes that I put miles upon miles in last year.  Apparently hiking rubs in different places than running.  Here I was finding annoyances within the first 2 miles.  I quickly brushed them aside knowing I'd be meeting up with one that has just walked from Georgia to get here.  Over 1000 miles.  With a 25-30 pound pack on their back.  So I pressed on the bugs were of no concern.  I remembered the band aids in my pack and at 4 miles in, I put some on and felt relief.  
Strider was happy to see me.  Even more happy to see the gatorade.  We began our hike into Boiling Springs.  He kept a swift pace.  Despite the elevation gains.  I was happy for the workout.  He asked if it was too fast.  No way would I say yes.  Even if it was.  But it wasn't.  I wanted to catch up with him, it had been years since we talked.  And I didn't expect him to bend to my schedule as he passed through town.  Hiking together gave us a good 2-3 hours to do that.  We stopped at the Tavern for a drink and parted ways around 4:45.  

I exercise a lot.  I'm on my feet a lot.  But the way I felt at the end of the day yesterday I don't know if I could do it again today.  And then again for another 5 months.  This causes many thru hikers to stop prematurely.  But if they'd push past those first 100 miles....your body adapts.  Most of the time.  It's like anything we settle into.  The first three days are the most brutal.  But after that you overcome and adapt.  A new normal starts to set it.  I'm sure I'll be out mountain biking sometime today.  

I am happy for Strider.  He's always wanted to thru hike.  And he's doing it.  It's a big commitment and a big investment.  You could spend anywhere from $5000 or more to do it.  Not including any bills you'd have to cover when you are gone and not working.  And you might not have a job when you get back.  

Don't be afraid of adventure.  Don't be afraid of getting uncomfortable.  Don't be afraid to be free.  

Why spend 4-6 months hiking a trail by yourself?  Why not?  What purpose is it?  Does it matter?  What's the purpose of grinding out 8 hours a day for a paycheck to pay for things you decided you'd pay for?   You can choose your own life path.  While I had some freedom in mine, and I'm ecstatic about my wife and kids, no one encouraged me to branch out when I was in my late teens and early twenties.  I felt like I was always on a leash.  Sometimes I long one, but still tied.  What's holding you back?  If it's yourself...get free.  You never know what lies await around the next bend.  Enjoy the adventure.  I decided that day on the trail I needed a trail name.  I spend enough time on the AT on on journeys of my own that it would be fitting.  I wouldn't try to make one...it would come to me.  And in a few short minutes one word popped into my head.  Be.  And that became my trail name.  

Strider, stride on my friend.  In the words of Dr. Suess, Today is your day!  Your mountain is waiting.  So...get on your way! (Actually two mountains today)  

No comments:

Post a Comment