Monday, October 17, 2016

Closing Call

I'm not exactly sure what, if anything, I'm going to share about from this past weekend.  It will come out naturally through me being me.  I hope.  That would be wonderful.  But here's one takeaway.  Probably the one that fits where I'm at the most.

First, let me say this is normal behavior.  This is something I've seen happen and even have done myself.  And it wasn't until yesterday did it really strike me as odd.  We were done.  Over.  Everyone was about to stand up and leave.  No closing song, no altar call, no come to jesus moment, no tears, nothing screamed normal church retreat weekend.  It was fantastic.  No major declarations about everything we will change starting today.  It didn't happen.  It was just real, tangible things we can apply to help live less stressful lives.

This weekend was about connecting with other men.  Sharing things and being glad to hear we weren't the only ones.  Taking some time away to breath and relax.   Also learning how to handle some of the things life throws at us.

But anyway...at the end.  One of the attendees suggested we pray for our Pastor.  Who was present and standing right in front of us.  So someone did.  And it was a really heartfelt prayer.  And I don't want to say this is wrong.  It was great to suggest the prayer, it was a great prayer.  But halfway through, as I sat with my eyes open because I don't get prayer anymore, I wondered why we didn't all just have a "popcorn appreciation" moment instead.  Where we'd all just randomly share with him a thing or two we appreciate about him.  That's essentially what the prayer was.  Telling God how awesome Josh is when Josh is standing right there.  Why don't we just tell Josh himself?   I almost suggested that after the prayer, but I knew everyone was ready to hit the road and head home.

Again, it was no disrespect to the one who prayed or suggested it.  That action or prayer is appreciative.  I think many just do that out of a habit without thinking of another way.   I'm just hoping that one day, us men (myself included), will be able to look another man in the eye and tell them how much we appreciate them and offer them thanks.  To encourage them in their strengths and standing with them in their weak moments.




No comments:

Post a Comment