Saturday, October 8, 2016

Revisiting Church

Here's why I don't like church.  3-4 songs, announcements, short video perhaps, listen to someone speak for 30 minutes, communion and a closing song.  EVERY WEEK.  Church goers can listen to music all week long and have access to some of the most amazing sermons on the planet via podcast. Small groups are pushed as the most beneficial thing in a church.  So why don't we all just meet as a small group on sunday mornings, if it's the most most important thing?

So lets cut the crap.  It's not church on a sunday morning.  It's a worship service.  Which is fine.  But what if I don't connect spiritually with others while singing songs led by a live band and listing to someone talk for half hour?   Then what?

I love music.  I connect with music.  But not while I'm sitting and listening.  I've got to be playing it.  It's gotta flow through me.  But there's no room on the worship team.  And last I checked, there wasn't much time to allow the spirit to flow through the music.  Unless you can do it under 20 minutes and we get through all the songs we practiced.

Honestly though...even if there was a church where there wasn't 3-4 songs and sermon.  I don't know if I could go.

I'm not really trying to bring the church down.  Just say that not everyone engages like that.  If you connect in church, awesome.  I connect while trail running, mountain biking, playing my guitar along to 90's pop punk and spending time in my thoughts.

my kinda church.
That being said...I'm going to mens retreat next weekend and it's triggering all kinds of weird feelings about what church retreats are like and that I want nothing to do with them.  So we'll see how it goes. I'm very good at creating my own experiences and making them into something spiritual.  But it was really just me creating a spiritual experience.  Does that mean it's not valid?  Or valid?  See the gymnastics.   I guess if it came forth during a created worship service...invalid.  But if I drop to my knees in tears in the middle of the woods on a run.....valid.


No comments:

Post a Comment