Wednesday, April 20, 2016

To Take or Not to Take

I tried to sleep in today knowing that 18 hours for now I'll be driving to JFK and I don't know how to nap appropriately. Oh well, it isn't the first time we've been haiti bound and travelled throughout the night.  It puts us in Haiti at 10:45am local time tomorrow.  I can't wait.

Emily and I are going together for the first time.  Last September she went for the first time and discovered my other love.  But that's ok.  The fell in love too.  There is something about Haiti that has captured me.  I only know what it's like to visit so I don't want to pretend it's this awesome place to be at all the time.

I'm going to try to write everyday while I am there, but don't expect it daily.  Or at least first thing in the morning.

This isn't a controversial topic or anything, but one up for discussion.  Because I really don't know.  We were given the opportunity to take our sponsor child out to dinner.  Something he would rarely, if ever, get the chance to do.  I would love to do this.  I think it would be so much fun.   But I said no to dinner.

Why?  Because there are several other of his "brothers" that won't ever get that chance.  They have sponsors that take care of them financially and send gifts but may never come down and take them out to dinner or anywhere special.  I have a relationship with all the boys.  So I know all those boys and I want to take them all out for dinner.  It would be hard to not take them all out.  But the ratio isn't working in our favor on this trip.  I don't want any sponsor envy to happen.  Maybe it wouldn't happen.  Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe there is not right or wrong answer.  Maybe you just need to pick up that one starfish and throw them back in.

I'm curious to hear others thoughts on this.  Especially those that work for orphanages or foster care.

Anyway,  I'm kind of torn.  Unless I just came down 3 or 4 times a year and took 3 or 4 out to dinner each time I was there.  I wouldn't oppose that.

Wé ou demen, Ayiti.

No comments:

Post a Comment